A Brief History of Catawba UMC
The roots of Catawba UMC date back to 1860 and the formation of Smyrna, a log church about a mile southwest of our address. Then in 1876, Catawba UMC was organized & moved to our present location. Our original structure was remodeled in 1924, although the sanctuary wasn’t constructed until 1948. In the early to mid ‘90’s renovations to an old hosiery mill & warehouse resulted in our Family Life Center, which is used by the community as well as our members.
It is impossible to convey here the incredible history of mission, outreach, love, and growth that has been driven by our love for Christ. The best way to know our past is to join us in the present as we continue making history for the sake of God’s kingdom!
- Mission Statement of the United Methodist Church
“The mission of the church is to make disciples of Jesus Christ for the transformation of the World.”
- Mission Statement of Catawba United Methodist Church
“Our Mission is to follow the example of Jesus, by growing in God’s love and Grace; by sharing love and concern for all people; and by inviting others to join with us.”